Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Caramel Pannacotta with Strawberry Coulis - A Guest Post by Vineetha of Malabar Ruchi

Hello every one, I am back with another guest post for the blog. Today's guest post is from an amazing blogger whose food recipes and pics are both mind boggling - Vineetha from the blog RuchiVineetha's blog was one of the few blogs that I started following in the beginning.  Being a novice in cake making and decorating, the way Vineetha presents and decorates her cakes caught my attention very soon and I became a big fan :) You can check out some of her wonderful cakes here, here and here. Her blog Ruchi has not just cakes and other delectable desserts, but includes a variety of Kerala and other regional and international dishes as well. When I requested Vineetha to do a guest post for me, she readily agreed and came back to me with a wonderful dessert.  

Over to Vineetha:

Avika has been so patient with me giving me nearly 3 months time for doing this guest post for her. She was really sweet and very supportive when this post got delayed. So when I got a chance to make a dessert for taking it to a friend’s place for a dinner party I made up my mind to send it over to Avika. What I like about her blog is her step by step instruction which is very easy to follow even for a novice cook. Her recent post, Hotel style kuruma with paneer cubes seriously left me drooling :)

Talking about me, South Indian blogger from  Kerala living in London with hubby and my 5 year old son. Can call myself a long time blogger but a very slow one.  Blogging is one of the best hobby I have and I am so lucky to live in a  place where we have a big group of Desi bloggers who have became my good friends now.

Coming to the recipe it’s Caramel Pannacotta with strawberry coulis, an elegant Italian dessert. Usually when I post desserts I click two pairs of them in plates or bowls for the food styling sake, but this time I have only one, wonder why ? Since I knew that I won’t get time to take  picture of the dessert before taking it to my friends place I made one extra bowl for clicking picture next day. The next day morning was no different as I had to leave house in the morning for a whole day, so I had to click the pictures in a hurry. Even though I couldn’t do justice to the pictures, this dessert is  very delicious . I made one simple mistake by adding one extra teaspoon of gelatin as I was worried whether it might not set which made by pannacotta slightly hard, but if you try the recipe with one teaspoon less it will be soft and perfect. I have corrected the recipe accordingly so do try it out as it is easy to put together and tastes yumm !

Recipe adapted from – GB chefs 

Caramel Pannacotta:


Milk – 1/2 cup
Double cream/ Heavy cream – 2 1/2 cup
Vanilla bean – 1
Sugar – ¾ cup + 3 tbs ( as required )
Gelatin  powder – 2  ¼ tsp ( 1 packet )
Water – 3 tbs  + 2 tbs

For Strawberry Coulis:

Strawberry – ½ cup
Sugar – ¼ cup

Method of Preparing:
  • In a saucepan combine  2 ½  cups of cream and 1/2 cup of milk.
  • Slit the vanilla bean into half, scrape the seeds  to the milk - cream mixture and place the saucepan on medium heat stirring in  between. Once this  boils, simmer it for 5 minutes until it reduces a little bit.
  • Meanwhile  take gelatin powder in a bowl, add water and let it bloom for few minutes.
  • Add the gelatin to the milk – cream mixture and stir until the gelatin is dissolved.
  • In another pan  take ¾ cup sugar, add 2 tbs of water and place the pan on a low flame until the sugar caramelises.
  • Add the caramelised sugar to the milk – cream mixture and stir well until dissolved completely.
  • Finally add the 3 tbs of sugar or as per your taste to the mixture and stir until sugar is dissolved. Sieve it in case there in any lumpy bits.
  • Pour the mixture into glass bowls or moulds and chill for 3-4 hours in a refrigerator.
  • Serve it just like that or if you have made in moulds, dip the mould in boiling water for 5-8 seconds and give it a gentle tap and your panacotta should slide to a serving plate.

Making  Strawberry Coulis:
  • In a saucepan add take ½ cup strawberry, ¼ cup sugar and cook for 3-5 minutes until strawberry is a bit soft.
  • Let it cool for sometimes and then puree them with a hand belnder or in a mixie. Chill it.


Serve the pannacotta in glass bowls by drizzling some strawberry coulis on top or if you have made them in moulds, dip the mould in boiling water for 5-8 seconds and give it a gentle tap and your pannacotta should slide to a serving plate. Pour the strawberry coulis on top and serve !

Thank you so much for a lovely post Vineetha. Ever so happy to feature you on my blog. Wishing All the very best to you And hoping to see many more spectacular posts on Ruchi. 


  1. Super tempting pannacotta and love the way she presented the dish.

  2. i am one big fan of vinee... both as far as her blog is concerned and personally... she's a really sweet person... really! this is such a yum dessert, when it sets beautifully, love the caramel flavor... thank u for sharing, avika... :)

  3. Lovely!. Thank you both for a lovely recipe and great post... :-) Best wishes to both

  4. Thank u friends for the lovely words and Thanks Avika for having me over :)


Thank you for visiting my blog. Please leave your valuable comments.